Wednesday, February 23, 2011

I've got the blues!


Okay, I don't really have the blues but this card is very blue! I've decided that monochromatic cards are just not me. Then again, that's what the whole idea of challenges is, isn't it? To do something that you don't normally do. If it were easy, it wouldn't be called a "challenge".
Anyway, I made this card using an absolutely adorable digi from Phindy's Place. I love, love, love using her digis. The kids especially are just too adorable and look so real (not all cartoony). For this one, I paper pieced the had and outfit and then used watercolors over the paper piecing. I also printed out multiple images and used tiny bits of paper so I could raise up the stick and the bird to give the image a 3 dimensional look. I think it turned out pretty cool.
The sketch for this card is from the Happileigh Scrappin' Challenge. Sometimes it's so hard to come up with a different idea for a layout, it's nice to have a sketch challenge to use once in a while. I liked this one because they had 2 sketches, a simple version and one that was a little more fussy and showed you where to embellish. I followed the simple one but added my own embellies. Actually, the flower is one that I completely made myself using a circle punch. I just fiddled with the circles until the looked flower petal-ish. It was fun to make.
This card is for a few different challenges:
Totally Paper Crafts: Do it with a digi
Stampin' B's Design Team: Use a Flower On A Card
Paper Crafting Journey: Anything Goes
*This picture is horrible, I would LOVE to re-take it but I just mailed out the card. I probably should have checked the photo BEFORE doing that!*

14 comments:

  1. LOL....and that's the perfect kinda blues to have! This is beautiful, Katie!! I love the sketch you used and the color of blue. Very pretty!

    Thank you for playing along with us this week at Phindy's Place and hope to see you again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! The image is adorable. Thanks for playing along with us at Happileigh Scrappin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really pretty, love all the blues. The flower you made is so pretty, great idea to make a handmade embellie. And good for you getting it mailed out right away, that's the way to go, this will make someone very happy when it arrives in their mailbox. Thanks for playing along again at Phindy's Place this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty card. I love Phindy's images and this little girl is adorable. Thanks for joining us at PCJ this week! hugs~ Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is pretty card, and a cute image. Thanks for joining us at SFTW.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such pretty blues, Katie, and I love your custom swirl - a great idea!
    Thanks for playing with us this week at Phindy's Place!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job with the sketch! Thanks for joining us at Happileigh Scrappin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for playing along with TPC this week with this gorgeous card
    Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful blues! Happens to us all, the mailing out before checking the camera thing I mean:)
    Thank you for joining us and taking the Phindy’s Place Challenge, do hope you’ll join us again this Friday!
    Hugs
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katie, you would never guess that Monochromatic cards are not your thing... LOL... This is absolutely fabulous! great job!! thanks for playing with us at Phindy's again this week.
    Hugs,
    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how you have used our sketch! Great monochromatic colors too!Thanks for playing along with us at Happileigh Scrappin'
    Hugs,
    Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful card!

    Thanks for joining us over at SFTW

    Hugs
    Berni xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous job with the sketch, love the blues and the image is a cutie.

    Thanks very much for joining in our challenge this week at Happileigh Scrappin' Challenges

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kate, Congratulations, you've won 2nd place over at Happileigh Scrappin' Challenge. Hop on over to get your badge and info.

    ReplyDelete